How to Prevent Plagiarism Before Submission
The misconduct of a single individual can seriously damage the reputation of a department, institution or publication. Plagiarism is frequently detected in author submissions, putting organizations’ reputations at risk. Upon many inquiries from editors asking how they can best advise authors that their journal uses iThenticate in their editorial review, we created some recommendations. Since the launch of this program in 2011, over 650 journals and organizations have adopted these recommendations and seen a positive impact in preventing plagiarism in submitted writing.
To reduce the exposure to misconduct issues, iThenticate recommends publishers and organizations clearly state their policy on plagiarism up-front. By placing an iThenticate logo or badge on a journal website, it lets authors know that screening for plagiarism is a part of the journal's editorial process. Additionally, by hyperlinking the logo to the iThenticate website, the journal presents authors with an option to pre-check their work on their own if they choose, using the same iThenticate software.
iThenticate Individual Edition is a standalone service in which authors can privately upload their paper, review results and have the opportunity to make sure their work is cited and well attributed. It is a proactive way for authors to double check their work and correct any issues before submission.
This is a complimentary program available to iThenticate customers and CrossCheck powered by iThenticate members, a service offered by CrossRef and powered by iThenticate software. There is no charge to place the iThenticate logo or badge on websites, and customized badge requests are created free of charge.
BENEFITS TO PUBLISHERS
• Deters misconduct.
• Saves time and money with editors receiving pre-screened work.
• For CrossCheck members, this is a way to complement the existing CrossCheck guidelines.
BENEFITS TO AUTHORS
• Protects authors’ reputations.
• Educates authors.
• Improves quality of work.
- Download one of the below badges/logos (right click and save). You may choose to use text instead, e.g. "We use iThenticate."
- Upload the image to your website.
- Hyperlink the badge, logo or text to http://www.ithenticate.com. If you would like to receive an activity report, please email us for a unique URL so that we may track activity.
- Add verbiage to explain what iThenticate is and better explain your editorial processes. (Optional)
Request a customized badge. (There is no cost to request a personalized badge.)
LOGO PLACEMENT SUGGESTIONS
• Manuscript tracking system
• Information for Authors pages
• Resource Centers
• Submission Checklist
ADDITIONAL COPY (OPTIONAL)
In addition, publishers may also choose to accompany the logo/image with some verbiage that explains what iThenticate is.
For CrossCheck Publishers:
[Publisher/Journal name] is a member of CrossCheck, a service offered by CrossRef and powered by iThenticate software. iThenticate is a plagiarism screening service that verifies the originality of content submitted before publication. iThenticate checks submissions against millions of published research papers, and billions of web content. Authors, researchers and freelancers can also use iThenticate to screen their work before submission by visiting www.ithenticate.com.
For General iThenticate Customers:
[Organization name] uses iThenticate to screen for plagiarism before publication. The iThenticate software checks submissions against millions of published research papers, and billions of web content. Authors, researchers and freelancers can also use the iThenticate system to screen their work before submission by visiting www.ithenticate.com.
Journals that place an iThenticate badge or logo on their websites are eligible to receive a quarterly activity report. Tracking by website domain, iThenticate is able to identify:
- Web traffic (visits): The number of people who have clicked on the iThenticate badge to learn more or pre-check their work.
- The number of authors who have pre-checked their work through iThenticate.
To receive an activity report, please email us and include:
- The name & email of the person who should receive the report.
- The URL of the page where the iThenticate badge is located.
- We will provide you with a unique URL for tracking purposes.
American Society for Nutrition - The Journal of Nutrition - Instructions for Authors
An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (BJOG) - Editorial Policies
Copernicus Publications - Services - Plagiarism Detection
Dove Medical Press Ltd - Dovepress Author Guidelines and Submit a Manuscript
Evolutionary Computation - Home (and MIT Press Journals)
Journal of Neurosurgery - Author Instructions
Journal of the Society for Reproduction and Fertility - Instructions to Authors
Journal of Medical Biochemistry - Home
Optics and Photonics Letters - Editorial Manager
Photochemistry and Photobiology - Home and ScholarOne Manuscript Submission Site